Re: [O] CUSTOM_ID vs ID

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] CUSTOM_ID vs ID
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2019 17:05:09 +0200

Jorge P. de Morais Neto <address@hidden> writes:

> But could not we URL-encode the dedicated target text?

My example was about HTML, but the same process is used in every export
back-end. URL-encoded strings may also be invalid in other back-ends.

> In my testing, Org generates an ugly anchor even if the dedicated
> target text is just "Target".

"org-XXX" is not "ugly", but functional :)

> The current behavior does not harm my current use cases, but I looks to
> me it would be simple to improve (for someone familiar with the
> codebase) and help some users.

Note that the current behaviour was implemented as an improvement over
the previous solution, to help some users. You may want to dig into the
mailing list archives about it. IIRC, it started out when a Chinese user
reported an issue with targets.

LaTeX back-end uses `org-latex-prefer-user-labels'. HTML could use
a similar mechanism but no one bothered implementing it yet. In any
case, Org provides a robust default solution. I think it is a reasonable
expectation as a default.

Nicolas Goaziou