Re: Survey: changing a few default settings for Org 9.4

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: Survey: changing a few default settings for Org 9.4
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 12:57:14 +0100

Hi Nicolas,

> This is not a good default, at least for beginners, because Org provides
> a better solution out of the box. There are also better solutions
> outside Org (e.g., Yasnippet).

Well, let's agree to disagree on this one.

org-tempo and C-c C- fill two different use cases: the first one for
fast block insertion while typing, the second one for e.g. when the
region is selected.

I don't think allowing org-tempo "shadows" C-c C-, in any fashion.

> It is only valuable for existing users, who relied on this feature, and
> don't want to switch. It's perfectly understandable, but it is also fair
> to assume they can add (require 'org-module) to their own configuration.
> _Removing_ the module, OTOH, is subtle.

M-x customize-option RET org-modules seems okay to me.

> By the way, this does not belong to the same category as other
> defcustoms discussed. This is only tangential to "how does Org should
> look and feel by default". It relates to: should Org provide multiple
> snippet extensions, knowing this is not a central feature, and Org is
> often seen as bloated by Emacs devs? I don't think so, no matter how
> useful this feature can be for some users.

I'll be more receptive to this argument when animate-birthday-present
is not in Emacs's core anymore :)

That said, I'm receptive to the idea that Org could be more focused to
its core functionalities.  E.g., I think we could be more minimalistic
about the ol-* and ox-* libraries in Org.  Also, we should get rid of
org-modules altogether now that Emacs has a packaging system.

I'd suggest a discussion on this for after 9.4.

--
 Bastien