Re: wip-cite status question and feedback

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: wip-cite status question and feedback
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2020 22:38:19 +0200

On Sat, Apr 18 2020, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
The question, then: Is that what you're saying; we don't need suppress-author?

I think I actually agree, though will add a topic that came up in the CSL implementation discussion for the author-in-text styles in the
past few days.

Here's a common way a citation might be integrated in a narrative text:

Doe, by contrast, found negative results (2017).

There are other constructions in with suppress-author is useful. For example, possessives:

Doe's (2017) results... or
Doe's (2017) ground braking paper...

Such use is not uncommon in my field.

Also, consider languages that require a case ending on the author name. And who knows what quirks other languages may have?

So we have the author name in-text, than some text, then the year-only citation.

The traditional way to do that in pandoc is to use the suppress-author
command at the end.

Doe, by contrast, found negative results [-@doe17].

So the piece of information I refer to above is that one of the CSL
implementers (Frank Bennett) figured out  how to make the above
example an author-in-text variant, so that you don't need
suppress-author, and the entire sentence is the citation.

He did this by adding an optional "infix" variable to the citation.

I doubt that would work in every case. Consider e.g.,
;
In her original (2017) study, Doe argues that...
[...]
This is arguably an edge case, but it does relate to the question of whether we need two (standard and author-in-text) or three commands
(adding the suppress-author).

I would definitely say that a way to suppress the author is necessary. In fact, I would argue that there should also be a way to cite just the author name, if only to make sure it's not misspelled or written inconsistently. (I'm a regular user of \citeauthor in BibLaTeX... ;-) But I admit that's less of a necessity.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments