Re: A small idea to simplify (further) time input in the date/time promp

From: Detlef Steuer
Subject: Re: A small idea to simplify (further) time input in the date/time prompt
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 18:46:18 +0200

Am Thu, 21 May 2020 11:52:17 -0400
schrieb Robert Horn <address@hidden>:

> Eric S Fraga writes:
>
> > On Thursday, 21 May 2020 at 09:29, Gustavo Barros wrote:
> >> So I'd like to suggest a simplification there, which is: a string
> >> in the format "hour h minute" (that's small caps letter "H"), but
> >> in
> >
> > I would be strongly in favour of having this option.  This is how I
> > write times in email messages, for instance, so would be more
> > consistent for me.  And especially when I communicate with my
> > European partners when referring to times after 12 noon.
> >

> I would be opposed.  There are already dozens of different formats
> used in different situations and locations for writing the time.
> This would be yet another different time format.  It is relatively
> unique in that there is no other place in the world that uses it.  I
> don't think that uniqueness is an argument in its favor.

I find it a natural format living in Europe/Germany.
And I would like the addition, too. It wouldn't take away anything, just
add. But low priority, current ways to specify time work well.

As I understand the propsal it is intended for entering times, not for
storing. Storing and working with times is a different scale of a
problem.

> There some other formats that are actually in widespread use worldwide
> that I would prefer as available alternatives:
>
> European dot notation.  Many people use the dot rather than the colon,
> so 13:05 is written as 13.05.

And that I`ve never seen (tm). The dots are for dates, colons for time.
May be there is a country with dot notation as a "standard", but definitely
it is not a "European" dot notation.

Regards
Detlef