Re: [Feature] add a new org-attach dispatcher command to offline save we

From: stardiviner
Subject: Re: [Feature] add a new org-attach dispatcher command to offline save web page
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 14:16:27 +0800

>> As I said, PATCH welcome, I admired many times I don't have ability to build
>> complex archive functionality on url.el or wget or curl.
>
> I have found the following solution [1] using wget:
>
> wget --mirror -p --convert-links -P ./LOCAL-DIR WEBSITE-URL

I know this "--mirror" option. I used this solution to archive web page before.
Make this command work in org-attach is a little bit of complicated. I have
considered it on current org-attach code. With my Elisp ability, can't write it
out. Still not very good at Elisp :(

> This will not bundle the page into a single file, but it is better than
> nothing. org-attach does not have to attach exactly one file.

You can check out function `org-attach-attach` source code, the "cond" structure
is the most commands.

I remember org-attach dispatcher used to have a command to move directory
directly. But it seems removed. Now, all org-attach commands only supports file.
I also search Elisp functions, can't find a function to move directory around.
So PATCH welcome. I remember you send patch on Org Mode mailing list, I believe
you at least is same kind of newbie like me who can write a little Elisp. :)

> [...]
>>> patches, I think priority should go to those that are configurable,
>>> accessible, and useful for everyone as opposed to those that have
>>> hard-coded work-flows or highly-specific user configurations.
>>
>> I don't think it's hardcoded, As I said in my first email, It's an
>> `defcustom',
>> isn't it? User totally can change that. And I used `executable-find', the
>> value
>> will be `nil' when monolith is not available. And I don't have ability to
>> archive same functionality with wget or curl. And as I said before, PATCH
>> welcome.

>>> The question is: which functionality? A simple downloading tool or a
>>> full archival tool? Achieving similar functionality to org-board or
>>> monolith would a big task, since they aim to download an archival
>>> version of a webpage (including all resources). In addition, with
>>> archiving you also quickly run into the complexity of versioning based
>>> on time archived. There's also the challenge of mapping the downloaded
>>> files to metadata (specifically the original url). Org-board currently
>>> handles both of these very well.
>>
>> If you mean adding a timestamp and original URL, I don't think its our
>> argument
>> point, because user totally can do it manually, or automatic this task in
>> some
>> kind of way. WDYT?
>>

>>> I suppose there would be a few options depending on what the aims are:
>>>
>>> 1. At the simple end, include little more than than a quick and dirty
>>>    way of downloading a single resource (html, pdf, jpeg) using url.el
>>>    or wget (or optionally, monolith) and putting that in the attachment
>>>    folder. Those who want full archiving of all resources could use
>>>    other tools like org-board or org-web-tools.
>>
>> the [u] url downloading method already did the simple task.
>>

>>> 2. At the (much) more complex end, it would be to code out a robust
>>>    archiving solution on top of url.el or wget.
>>
>> As I said, PATCH welcome, I admired many times I don't have ability to build
>> complex archive functionality on url.el or wget or curl.
>>
>> Isn't Org Mode build up from small things? Can just become a big tool at
>> once?
>>

>>> 3. Another, possibly simpler option... Add a command to the dispatcher
>>>    that allows the user to invoke a custom function that is called with
>>>    the attachment directory as the default-directory. This would enable
>>>    more end-user flexibility, such as the ability to use
>>>    wkhtmtoimage/wkhtmltopdf, monolith, phantom.js, archive.is, etc.
>>>

>> This is leaved to `defcustom' option. I will improve the download function to
>> have enough elasticity.
>>
>> - --
>> [ stardiviner ]
>>        I try to make every word tell the meaning that I want to express.
>>
>>        Blog: https://stardiviner.github.io/
>>        IRC(freenode): stardiviner, Matrix: stardiviner
>>        GPG: F09F650D7D674819892591401B5DF1C95AE89AC3

- --