Re: FWD: Org-Babel Support for Powershell

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: FWD: Org-Babel Support for Powershell
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2020 12:43:00 +0200

On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 11:32:45PM +0200, stanislaw_lem--- via General
discussions about Org-mode. wrote:
> With Powershell 7 we got now a cross-platform scripting language for Windows
> and Linux OS.

Can you provide an example script you would run, and the example output?
Basically a minimum working example, except the part where Babel would run it
for you?

What executable does it need to run?

Does Powershell have a REPL, or is it single commands?

These would help figure out if Babel could work with it. I have the impression
Babel wraps REPL languages quite easily. You'll have more luck trying to have
this feature added if you can help supply this kind of information.

I think Org-Babel working with many languages is a noble goal, but I expect
there would be difficulty getting Powershell support added to the core
distribution. It might be limited to a separate package as it is very specific
to a Windows only non-free language from a vendor with a long and sordid history
of anti-OSS practices.

My opinion is I would never consider using Powershell on Linux, despite your
positive impression.