Re: [patch] simplify-compact initial data extraction from plist

From: tomas
Subject: Re: [patch] simplify-compact initial data extraction from plist
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2020 18:49:41 +0200

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 10:18:21AM -0500, Mario Frasca wrote:
> this is a result of some help I received a few days ago in the
> #emacs irc chat room on freenode.
>
> I was wondering why we were adding a semicolon in front of names,
> before creating symbols, and I understand this is because such
> symbols work as keys.

I assume you mean a "colon", like this `:'

Those :foo thingies have another nice property: they are self-evaluating,
like numbers. If you try, e.g. to eval foo, the evaluator tries to find
a variable named foo and the result is then that variable's value.

If you evaluate 'foo, the result is the symbol foo.

If you evaluate :foo, the result is :foo, like when you evaluate 1234,
where the result is simply 1234.

Cheers
-- t