Re: Website revamp?

From: Amin Bandali
Subject: Re: Website revamp?
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 11:53:24 -0400

Hello Timothy,

TEC <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello Russell, Amin,
>
> Thanks for giving me your thoughts on the idea :)
> Your responses have lead me to think that this may lead somewhere.

:-)

[...]
> Amin Bandali <bandali@gnu.org> writes:
>> Hello,
> Hi :)
>
>> While we wait for Bastien and others to chime in, per your question
>> in your original proposal email, if you have not seen it already,
>> the repository containing the sources for the current Org website
>> seems to be at <https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/orgweb>.
>
> I wasn't aware of that! Thank you very much for bringing it to my
> attention.

You're very welcome!

>> If you have some time, perhaps consider making a quick demo of one
>> revamped page, to give folks an idea of what sort of changes you
>> imagine?
>
> I may just have a go at whipping up a 'revamped' index page, I'll let
> you all know how that goes.

Please do, and thanks in advance for working on it.  Looking forward to
seeing it what comes of it. :-)

>> I think the overall design of the Org website is fine, but it could
>> use well-thought out enhancements to make browsing around and
>> discovering things easier.  That said, I personally wouldn't be
>> opposed to a bit of a revamp, if the site continues to work well
>> without JS and continue to be accessible in text-based browsers
>> (like EWW and Lynx).
>
> As I said earlier, I see no reason for the Org site to be much more
> than a simple static page ... just in need of a bit of massaging into
> a more aesthetically pleasing shape.
>
> -----
>
> While this may seem like a relatively minor pursuit in the scheme of
> things, it is (or at least was in my case) the landing page for the
> feature that can draw one into Emacs.
>
> For the sake of curious individuals who aren't sure what to expect, I
> think it's worth some effort to make their first impression lean more
> towards "Org is a novel and exciting format, ahead of it's time" than
> "Org is some old and crufty format that hasn't received much love" :P
>
> While obviously that goes far beyond the styling of orgmode.org, I do
> honestly think that it plays a part.

+1.

Speaking of Emacs, I quite like the design Nicolas Petton did for
<https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/> a few years back.  It has a few
different templates, which I think lend themselves well to pages with
various purposes.  For instance, I used one to create the ERC page
<https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/erc.html> a while ago.  Perhaps
something carrying some resemblance and familiarity of the Emacs web
pages would be a good idea to start with?

> All the best,
>
> Timothy.

Cheers,
amin