Re: File local setting for export directory?

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: File local setting for export directory?
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 13:58:33 +0200

On Tue, Aug 04, 2020 at 01:42:56PM +0200, Loris Bennett wrote:
> > Please remember maintainer time is limited. There are often edge cases
> > for one user as well for a software as flexible as Org.
>
> I appreciate that, although some form of control of where things are
> exported to seems to me to be fairly generic functionality and something
> which might be of interest to a number of people.

Of course. Be patient and let them process the incoming patches in their time.
;]

> It was mainly just the idea of being able to add a entire subdirectory
> to .gitignore which made me think it would be nice to have a way of
> changing export directory.

That's an interesting idea, and one supported by existing conventions. It's
common for Makefiles to write all executables to a subdir, and it's common to
have .hgignore (or git) ignore that directory.

I think here this issue is that while Org has that ability to specify the output
file, the third party tool (latex) which is being called is using the full name
and so the output may end up in the current directory. I think that would
qualify as an unintended side effect.

I think you're correct that Org should try to honor that when calling out, so I
hope that patch gets picked up into core.