Re: Thoughts on the standardization of Org

From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: Thoughts on the standardization of Org
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2020 00:10:08 +0100

Daniele Nicolodi <daniele@grinta.net> writes:
> Maybe the standardization should cover only the "static" parts of Org
> (ie no table formulas, no babel, no agenda, no exporters, etc). However,
> in this case, what is left is little more of a markup language with an
> editor that allows sections folding. You can have this on top of pretty
> much any markup language using Emacs' outline-minor-mode.

It could become stronger competition for asciidoc by being available in
more places.

Having an acceptance criterion for “supports basic org-mode
presentation” and “can edit org-files without breaking editing in
org-mode” could help adoption.

That would be the only part I’d really expect from standardization:
There would be a clear-cut point when a tool could claim compatibility
with org level N or by components (i.e. basic presentation, code-blocks,
…).

Having org-files parsed as html on a VCS-infopage is pretty nice.

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein