Re: Local variables insecurities - Re: One vs many directories

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Local variables insecurities - Re: One vs many directories
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 15:06:00 +0300

* Detlef Steuer <steuer@hsu-hh.de> [2020-11-26 14:46]:
> Am Thu, 26 Nov 2020 08:31:29 +0300
> schrieb Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>:
>
> > That is not fair choice. It pushes user to finally ! apply and accept
> > it, but does not give chance to permanently ignore it.
> >

> > Do you want to apply it?  You can type
> > y  -- to apply the local variables list.
> > n  -- to ignore the local variables list.
> > !  -- to apply the local variables list, and permanently mark these
> >       values (*) as safe (in the future, they will be set
> > automatically.)
>
> Well, if you are arguing for a user who chose to use emacs, configured
> mutt to invoke emacs etc

I do not. Any file opened any how by Emacs is invoking those variables.

Please send your opinions to bug:
https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=44837 by writing to:
44837@debbugs.gnu.org

> .but at the same time has no idea he chose a
> mighty tool, as in has no clue about programming, variables etc.,

That is right, I have given references. Do not expect users who obtain
Emacs editor to be programmers. When user is asked anything, it should
be self-documenting and it should have references to that
documentation. That is why majority of actions with Emacs do have ?
for help at least. Invoking unsafe variables does not even involve any
help or references to manual.

>  then
> this choice won't help neither. If you have no idea about local
> variables, you can not make an informed decision about *anything*
> involving the concept of local variables. Besides stopping and reading
> the manual.

That is right, but that will be picked by those better positioned few.