Custom org-mode tags: What is the limit?

From: Galaxy Being
Subject: Custom org-mode tags: What is the limit?
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 22:35:01 -0600

How many custom, self-made tags can you have with org-mode? org-tag-alist seems maxed out at 26. Is that the limit? On a heading, I can C-c C-c and a (helm?) buffer comes up with my 26 tag choices. So can you only create as many tags as there are lower-case letters in the alphabet. Is this true? I would like to have potentially hundreds of tags as tags seem to be vaguely the same as a book index.

LB