org-adapt-indentation not honored prior to Org 9.4?

From: Mike Kupfer
Subject: org-adapt-indentation not honored prior to Org 9.4?
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 12:37:33 -0700

Over the weekend I upgraded my Emacs from 27.1 (Org 9.3) to 27.2-rc2
(Org 9.4).  I noticed that Org mode behaves differently, even with
"emacs -Q".

In 27.1, if I visit foo.org and type "* header RET", point is put in the
first column.  In 27.2, point is put in column 3.

AFAIK, I'm not using electric-indent-mode; at least it's not shown in
the minor mode list in the modeline.

org-adapt-indentation is t in both Emacs 27.1 and Emacs 27.2.  Was there
a bug fix that went into Org 9.4 such that org-adapt-indentation is now
honored?  Could the change in behavior be documented in the ORG-NEWS
file in Emacs?

I already asked about this on emacs-devel; Eli Z. sent me over here.

thanks,
mike