Re: wip-cite status question and feedback

From: András Simonyi
Subject: Re: wip-cite status question and feedback
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021 15:34:28 +0200

Dear All,

On Fri, 23 Apr 2021 at 14:03, Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:

>> well, I think there might be some legitimate use cases, e.g.,
>> (see Smith 1997, p. 2, see also p. 33, pp. 45-47, but /cf./ p. 103)

> This use-case is not convincing, because it ought to be the task of the
> citation processor to italicize "cf." (perhaps through an option), for
> consistency across citations.

This could and maybe should be the case, but I think the currently
available citation processors do not add markup to the suffixes and
prefixes.

> A drawback with allowing emphasis there is that prefix and suffix become
> parsed data and not plain string anymore. As a consequence, searching
> through them, e.g., when looking for locator names, requires an
> additional level of indirection, since you need to first transform
> parsed data back into plain text.

> Of course, this is not a deal breaker, just something to know in order
> to eventually make an informed choice.

I agree that it'd add a considerable amount of complexity, so this
must depend on how important this feature would be. If there are no
objections (I certainly won't object) then simply disallowing markup
in citations, at least in this iteration, seems absolutely acceptable
to me.

thanks & best regards,
András