Re: stability of toc links

From: Timothy
Subject: Re: stability of toc links
Date: Sat, 01 May 2021 21:47:19 +0800

> I don't think such a system would preserve properties offered by
> `org-export-get-reference', for example in non-latin languages. Also,
> header content is not stable enough: when you're linking to the custom
> ID, you may be able to change the title and yet preserve the link.
>
> However, your proposal may be an improvement over
> `org-export-get-reference' in the context of "ox-html.el", that I don't
> know. That's the second way I wrote about.

My proposal basically replaces the random hex generating function in
`org-export-get-reference' with a call to a function
`org-reference-contraction' which takes a header and outputs a string
like "some-header-string" and then has digits appended should it be
non-unique (i.e. "some-header-string-2", "some-header-string-3").
For certain recognised blocks (e.g. src and example blocks) it appends
",{block}--{n}", for example: "some-header-string,code--1".

I consider this to be quite a nice improvement.

--
Timothy