Re: [wip-cite-new] Adjust punctuation around citations

From: Bruce D'Arcus
Subject: Re: [wip-cite-new] Adjust punctuation around citations
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 08:03:24 -0400

On Sat, May 15, 2021 at 7:56 AM Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:

> At the moment, the `org-cite-adjust-punctuation' function is designed
> with author-year to note conversion in mind, not the other way. I don't
> have enough examples of the opposite transformation to even be sure the
> current interface would be appropriate. I even believe this is not often
> possible, as it would imply rewording, i.e., add information that is not
> present in the original document.
>
> This doesn't seem to be a limitation, though. This feature is useful for
> users having to switch between author-year and note styles. The rule of
> thumb is to always write author-year in source.
>
> In any case, this explains why the docstring has a bias. I updated it to
> insist on the fact that these are rules for author-year to note
> conversion.

FWIW, I agree with this decision.

High level, the basic logic says to a user if you need to cite
something, insert a citation, and let your citation processor take
care of the rest.

Whether that final output is a number, a footnote mark, or an
author-date representation, it should "just work."

Going the other way doesn't really make sense from that perspective. A
user can still place a citation in a footnote manually.

Bruce