Re: suggestion to change default org-latex-pdf-process to latexmk

From: Colin Baxter
Subject: Re: suggestion to change default org-latex-pdf-process to latexmk
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2021 06:35:21 +0100

    > Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:
    >> I really don't understand why the changed is needed.

    > The upcoming citation support needs a reliable way to run the
    > required bibliography processor (e.g. biber or bibtex). Therefore
    > the current default setting that only runs latex three times does
    > not suffice.

    > On the other hand running biber unconditionally will result in
    > errors if no citation and bibliography has been used in the
    > document.

    > So we need a more sophisticated method to run the LaTeX engine and
    > associated tools. One way would be to use something that tries to
    > do exactly this: Depending on the LaTeX document and/or the log
    > file decide what's left to do to get a properly set result. With
    > latexmk it is also easier to handle generation of index or
    > glossaries files etc.

    > Or we try to re-build something like this in Elisp (which would be
    > nice but quite a lot of work; even if we utilize the lessons
    > learned from latexmk).

Thank you for this useful explanation. I should have read the whole
thread, but I'm lazy.

I'm old school and use bibtex, and, before I adopted latexmk as a
solution, I remember setting org-latex-pdf-process to run multiple
times (5+) to cope with my setup of multiple bib files and multiple
layers of cross-referencing and citing within the bib files. It didn't
always work so I understand fully the motive behind using latexmk.

Thanks again - and to others for explaining the thinking.

Best wishes, Colin.