Re: literate programming, development log -- ideas?

From: Jack Kamm
Subject: Re: literate programming, development log -- ideas?
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2021 12:19:09 -0700

Hi Greg,

Greg Minshall <minshall@umich.edu> writes:

> but i also feel a need for something that might be called a lab
> notebook, a development log, of ideas, including dead ends, i pursue
> during the development process, with links, etc..  but, i'm not really
> sure how to structure this bit, how to integrate it in the rest of the
> .org file -- i.e., as a separate heading, or related to the code section
> that (originally) was under development when the notes were created.
> or...?  etc.

This is how I have been using org-babel recently. In particulary, I use
it as a journal for my exploratory data analyses (EDA), mainly in Python
and R.

I find that using a month-tree format, similar to org-capture with
:tree-type month [1], works well for organizing my EDA sections/notes.

Figures I create are named like so:

fig/eda/<6-digit-date>-<short-description>.png

e.g., "fig/eda/210607-celltype-heatmap.png".

I found this workflow keeps things fairly neat, without having to think
too much about how I'm going to organize and name everything. Perfect
for trying out new ideas, iterating quickly, and having an easy to refer
to log of what I've already tried.

[1] https://orgmode.org/manual/Template-elements.html