Re: how to document/comment a complex org table formula

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: how to document/comment a complex org table formula
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 16:45:26 +0200

>>> "ESF" == Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> Sorry; I cannot help you directly.
> My rule of thumb is that if formulas are getting too complex to
> understand/recall clearly, it's time to use a proper programming
> language instead.  The nice thing about org is you can have tables as
> inputs to and outputs of src blocks...

> My papers often have awk source blocks that process tables to generate
> statistics for some (numerical) experiments.

> Spreadsheets, org tables being an example of such, are brilliant tools
> for simple calculations but are pretty much "write only programming
> languages".

I agree, the problem is I have to collaborate with colleagues and they
use excel. I still struggle to understand their formula, so I thought it
would be a good idea to comment the terms I understand but even if I
call

org-edit-special, I cannot add comments, well I can but they are
destroyed when I turn back to the main file. Other tools such as
virtual-comment do not work neither in such a buffer.