Re: Org + git branches for derived files

From: Mark Barton
Subject: Re: Org + git branches for derived files
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 17:53:02 -0700

Ken,

You could consider using git-lfs, Large File Support. There is some setup and
then you can say track *.pdf and that will tell git to track the binary file in
a more efficient way. I use this mailing for csv files that I want to have a
snapshot version of with the Jupyter notebook that used them. Once you are
tracking the files with git-lfs, they will be tracked with the normal git
commits.

I agree that the best practice is not to commit these types of files, but
sometimes it is handy to. By committing the PDF files to the repo, I can use
Working Copy, a git client, on my iPad to quickly reference a document. Since
the iPad cannot run Emacs, I am unable to regenerate the PDF from there.

Mark