Re: org-element.el change in emacs.git

From: Adam Porter
Subject: Re: org-element.el change in emacs.git
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 22:08:42 -0500

Hi Kyle,

Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:

> Thanks for the heads up.
>
> I monitor Org-related changes to the Emacs repo and port them to Org's.
> Entering into Emacs release periods, I tend to look at least once a day
> so that porting doesn't hold up cutting a bugfix release and syncing.
> Other times, it's not as frequent, but usually not less than once a
> week.

Well, I guess I need to follow the mailing list more closely; if I did,
I'd probably have already known that.  :)

> None of that is to say that flagging an important commit isn't
> appreciated.  Just setting expectations about what the normal intake
> looks like.

I don't know, for what we're paying you, I think something like a 1-hour
turnaround time would be more appropriate...  ;)

> (Fwiw a log of the considered commits is available at
> <https://git.kyleam.com/orgmode-backport-notes/plain/orgmode-backports.org>.)

I didn't know about that URL.  That's 8 years of faithful, thankless
maintenance.  Thanks for your work on Org.  :)

By the way, I'm curious, not having always followed the internal details
of Org's development over the years: why are changes like that made to
emacs.git and merged back into Org, instead of being made in Org and
then merged back into Emacs with the next sync?  It seems like it could
be a burden, requiring someone like you to track them and merge them,
but there's probably a good reason for this workflow.