Re: Manual suggestion and experience report from a new user (citation pr

From: Bruce D'Arcus
Subject: Re: Manual suggestion and experience report from a new user (citation processors, 9.5)
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 13:00:29 -0400

Forgot to reply-all ...

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 11:36 AM Leszek Wroński <elwro1@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been using Emacs for about 20 years, but I'm only now starting to
> seriously explore the Org-mode, since I read about the new citation
> options. I'd like to report my initial experience since maybe this
> could lead to some amendments to the manual?

Your suggestions make a lot of sense.

> Another thing: the way the citations work is inconsistent for me at
> this point. In some cases, a click on a citation opens my library.bib
> at the relevant entry. In other cases, nothing happens (i.e. nothing
> that I can see.) On what could this depend?

I don't know. Is the key by chance wrong?

> Ideally I'd like a click on a citation to open the PDF whose location
> is stored in the 'file' field of the .bib entry: is there an easy way
> to achieve this? [I've tried various ways of doing this in the last
> 10+ years, including org-ref, RefTex etc., but am I correct in
> assuming that currently the idea is that one should only use the
> Org-mode for such things?]

As for the "follow" functionality you're asking about, this is mostly
what third party processors are for; "oc-basic" is intentionally
"basic".

This landscape is still new, but my oc-bibtex-actions one allows you,
for example, to use embark to run different actions from an org-cite
citation. By default it will open associated documents or links.

https://github.com/bdarcus/bibtex-actions

John Kitchin's org-ref-cite does similar with a hydra menu, though I'm
unsure of his plans for the package.

https://github.com/jkitchin/org-ref-cite

Bruce