Re: frustrations

From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: frustrations
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2021 12:51:19 +0100

Jan Ulrich Hasecke <juh+org-mode@mailbox.org> writes:

> There are some more issues. Startup time of my emacs is more than 30
> seconds even after optimizing something with esup. I have 10.000+ files
> in my org-roam and fear that I hit some limitation either of org-roam or
> my hardware.

I use use-package with the :defer option for everything that I don’t
always need at startup. That gives me sub-second startup, which is OK,
and at first idle it adds more packages.

The other main focus I have there nowadays is to stay close to vanilla
Emacs: Only change what I really need different. The main advantage of
that is that when I need an editor that is there *at once*, I just use
emacs -Q

That avoids all customizations, even those from the distribution, and it
is roughly instant (if you need more, then add -nw to open it purely in
the terminal).

Best wishes,
Arne
--