Re: [fyi] extensible syntax, syntax features, parsing risk

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [fyi] extensible syntax, syntax features, parsing risk
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 18:52:13 -0500

Is it related to https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-08/msg00404.html

I implemented that idea for fun once: https://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2015/02/05/Extending-the-org-mode-link-syntax-with-attributes/

John

-----------------------------------
Professor John Kitchin (he/him/his)
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803

On Sat, Dec 4, 2021 at 5:10 PM Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:
the quoted post below, which had message id
20524da70901041233g105f372fv175a47dc9884fa43@mail.gmail.com , starts a
thread relevant to the current discussion of syntax, at least
historically, maybe practically.  could not find it online.

there were succeeding threads with examples and other stuff for id
markers and graph-theoretic things and other examples, where you as
user could always use a cl-like syntax [i.e. something like
"$[functionality-name arg :keyword arg]"].  my main concern was the
proliferation of syntax, and the risks of that [e.g. parsing] and
wanting the ability of factoring of syntax features.

display, parsing and so on would be shared [factored] among all the
different such features; org would always handle that the same.  thus
as a user even, you could add some new feature in lisp, and write it
in org using this syntax.  it would already work.

i have more in notes.  idk if it is still relevant, but i have
included the thread starter for the earliest thread [carsten/myself].

--
The Kafka Pandemic

https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com