Re: [BUG] Evaluating org-class throws a void-variable error [9.6 (9.6-??

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] Evaluating org-class throws a void-variable error [9.6 (9.6-??-0c9b30e96 @ ~/.emacs.d/.local/straight/build-27.2/org/)]
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 19:20:01 +0800

Giorgi Gvalia <gvalia@protonmail.com> writes:

> Excuse the potential bad formatting, I am new to sending bug reports like
> this.
>
> When using the string `<%%(org-class 2022 1 17 2022 5 7 1 17 19)>` to
> schedule an item, I was expecting for it to build occurences accordingly.
> Instead I received the error "Not an Org time string: %%(org-class 2022 1 17
> 2022 5 7 1 17 19)". I then tried to evalute the org-class expression by
> itself and received the following error: "Symbol's value as variable is void:
> date". Looking at the source code, I see that there is a variable "date" that
> is defined on line 5950 of org-agenda.el and subsequently used to define the
> variable "d" in the let block. Unfortunately, I'm not able to ascertain where
> the value of this variable should be acquired from.

I just tried the following heading and it works just fine:

* this
SCHEDULED: <%%(org-class 2022 1 17 2022 5 7 1 17 19)>

Can you provide exact steps that you tried? Ideally, starting from clean
configuration. See https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html

The error you are getting is to be expected because diary functions are
special. They expect the variable =date= to be set externally. It is
normally done by agenda, but not when you try to evaluate the diary
function manually.

Best,
Ihor