Re: citations: org-cite vs org-ref 3.0

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: citations: org-cite vs org-ref 3.0
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 08:12:54 -1000

Vikas Rawal <vikasrawal@gmail.com> writes:

What is the general view of the community about this? Is there a
comprehensive discussion of pros and cons of each?

Prof. Kitchin himself provided a summary on why he decided to give up on using org-cite. See https://github.com/jkitchin/org-ref/issues/892

This claim in Kitchin's summary surprised me:

"It comes down to org-ref using bibtex/biblatex as the predominant citation processor, and org-cite using CSL. These two processors have different syntaxes, and I don't think it is possible to have a single approach that works for both of them without making compromises in capability."

I wonder what are the "compromises in capability" required to support both?

I haven't found them yet, though I'm just now finishing old projects started prior to the release of org-cite and haven't worked through a LaTeX export project with it. My first, and so far only, project with org-cite was for a simple html-based presentation using CSL, and I was pleased with the results and relative ease of setup.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye