Re: export regions of a org files to other formats (most likely only to

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: export regions of a org files to other formats (most likely only to a buffer).
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 14:25:28 +0800

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>> Could you please clarify which part of the function docstring was not
>> clear?
>
> Well
> | org-export-dispatch is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
> | ‘ox.el’.
> |
> | (org-export-dispatch &optional ARG)
>
> Does not mention, that a selected region gets exported.

Fair enough.
Ironically, it is not even wrong. Looking at the source code, respecting
region is merely a convention coming from most of backends calling
`org-export-as'.

As one possibility, we can add something like the following to the
docstring:

"Usually, exporting respects current narrowing and active region, though
individual export backends might not follow the convention.  See
`org-export-as' for more details."

Alternatively, we can modify `org-export-define-backend' to change the
docstring with links to individual backend exporters.

Or we may modify the dispatcher menu to indicate active region. Though
it is not guaranteed to be obeyed by the backends.

Best,
Ihor