Re: Proposal: 'executable' org-capture-templaes

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Proposal: 'executable' org-capture-templaes
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2022 17:16:01 +0200

> Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:
>
>> However before I continue, I am thinking of ditching the 'read-key'
>> completely
>> and switching to "standard" Emacs way of implementing interactivity via mode
>> and
>> mode-map. I am currently playing with such implementation, which to me
>> appears
>> both simpler (code reduction) and more flexible, but it does change the
>> mental
>> model of how clients of org-mks are used, for example org-capture.
>>
>> I don't think it should be a deal-breaker, but that is my personal opinion,
>> so I
>> would like to hear if that change would be acceptable or not?
>
> Could you provide a bit more details? How exactly will the usage differ
> from read-key?

I just wrote a much more detailed descrpition of what I have done so far, and
some dificulties I have to solve before I continue, and some discussion of how
it might work in answer to Mikulins question and concerns.

Short here: it will be ordinary text buffer, read only of course, with its own
major mode derived from special mode and buffer local key maps, instead of major
mode global maps, so user can just press a key in the buffer itself instead of
being prompted.

Single task workflow, I believe, can be guaranteed by allowing
only one menu buffer per application, for example one org-capture menu at a
time, but multiple applications could work since they will have different named
buffers.

This is a suggestions. I really dislike the read-key implementation of org-mks,
I don't think it is very easy to hack it in order to extend it, but I don't know
if it is possible to block Emacs when using ordinary key map mechanism. If
someone knows how to do it, I am all ears :).

Hope it explains a bit.

Thanks for the help!