Re: git branch rename and git config q

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: git branch rename and git config q
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2022 17:09:12 -0700

i /might/ have gotten it fixed.  will have to confirm when can.

takes me time to do things so i have drafts, but it sounds like this
by max is a shortened version, so i tried it:

vvv
I have not tested the following commands

    git remote set-url origin
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs/org-mode.git
    git branch --set-upstream-to=bugfix local
    git fetch
^^^

i assume that this is an untested script for doing what i want.  the
fact that it is turnkey is a huge boon because my cognition and
ability to use computers lmited and have consequences.  looks a bit
like a yes to my op q viz. can i do this?

i greatly appreciate the help from all contributors in addition, even
if not understand all of it or can't do parts.

the upgrade to recent org might be needed for any fix to the needed
org-capture extension so if this works it is good.

so what i did was run those 3 commands [one does not work] and edit
config manually and pull.  here is a transcript plus my complete
config.  i will have to reproduce using my shell pull so i can get the
diff.  cannot do now but cp etc.

i find editing the config manually more straightforward than running a
command to edit it.

i THINK this worked.  i had to figure out a trivial guess at what to
do to fix maint branch.  on clean local branch.  transcript:

vvv
08-Wed-16-06-47 ...$ cp -a org-mode--my-maint--ok-to-pull
TEST-branch-rename--org-mode--my-maint--ok-to-pull
cd TEST-branch-rename--org-mode--my-maint--ok-to-pull/
08-Wed-16-07-25 ...$ 08-Wed-16-07-25
.../TEST-branch-rename--org-mode--my-maint--ok-to-pull$
08-Wed-16-07-36 .../TEST-branch-rename--org-mode--my-maint--ok-to-pull$
08-Wed-16-07-36
.../TEST-branch-rename--org-mode--my-maint--ok-to-pull$     git remote
set-url origin https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs/org-mode.git

08-Wed-16-07-48
.../TEST-branch-rename--org-mode--my-maint--ok-to-pull$
08-Wed-16-07-48
.../TEST-branch-rename--org-mode--my-maint--ok-to-pull$  git branch
--set-upstream-to=bugfix local
error: the requested upstream branch 'bugfix' does not exist
hint:
hint: If you are planning on basing your work on an upstream
hint: branch that already exists at the remote, you may need to
hint: run "git fetch" to retrieve it.
hint:
hint: If you are planning to push out a new local branch that
hint: will track its remote counterpart, you may want to use
hint: "git push -u" to set the upstream config as you push.
(1) 08-Wed-16-07-58
.../TEST-branch-rename--org-mode--my-maint--ok-to-pull$ git fetch
remote: Counting objects: 4972, done.
Receiving objects: 100% (4972/4972), 2.51 MiB | 3.19 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (3897/3897), completed with 310 local objects.
>From https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs/org-mode
 * [new branch]          bugfix        -> origin/bugfix
   dd9105d17..1466950c7  emacs-sync    -> origin/emacs-sync
 * [new branch]          main          -> origin/main
 * [new tag]             release_9.5.4 -> release_9.5.4
 * [new tag]             release_9.5   -> release_9.5
 * [new tag]             release_9.5.1 -> release_9.5.1
 * [new tag]             release_9.5.2 -> release_9.5.2
 * [new tag]             release_9.5.3 -> release_9.5.3
08-Wed-16-08-59
.../TEST-branch-rename--org-mode--my-maint--ok-to-pull$ git branch
--set-upstream-to=bugfix local
error: the requested upstream branch 'bugfix' does not exist
hint:
hint: If you are planning on basing your work on an upstream
hint: branch that already exists at the remote, you may need to
hint: run "git fetch" to retrieve it.
hint:
hint: If you are planning to push out a new local branch that
hint: will track its remote counterpart, you may want to use
hint: "git push -u" to set the upstream config as you push.
(1) 08-Wed-16-09-17
.../TEST-branch-rename--org-mode--my-maint--ok-to-pull$ git branch
--set-upstream-to=bugfix local
error: the requested upstream branch 'bugfix' does not exist
hint:
hint: If you are planning on basing your work on an upstream
hint: branch that already exists at the remote, you may need to
hint: run "git fetch" to retrieve it.
hint:
hint: If you are planning to push out a new local branch that
hint: will track its remote counterpart, you may want to use
hint: "git push -u" to set the upstream config as you push.
(1) 08-Wed-16-11-52
.../TEST-branch-rename--org-mode--my-maint--ok-to-pull$ git pull
First, rewinding head to replay your work on top of it...
Applying: === alpha agenda mark ring push
Applying: === alpha make agenda display inactive timestamp lines with a new face
Applying: === alpha location of time span annotation
Applying: === alpha kludge -- put a newline when editing babel source blocks
Applying: === alpha agenda -- add event, remove colons and spaces, add
comment re ts feature
Applying: === alpha location of possible header insertion so it can be
made varibale pitch
Applying: === alpha remove the parens from ido completion of olpaths
Applying: === alpha comment and change active ts = event change
Applying: === alpha =maybe try to move nokori to today or move by
days, not just one
08-Wed-16-12-03 .../TEST-branch-rename--org-mode--my-maint--ok-to-pull$
^^^

notice that it rebased my patches all by itself.  [at least this
time.]  not sure if dangerous my case; wfm; i do not push.  i do not
get what gets dangerously rewritten.  my patches get merge conflicts.
org patches are presumably not rewritten.

merge conflicts instill rational fear but that is not avoidable here.
and did not even occur for such a huge upgrade.

uf you are curious about my patches please ask.  some are mere guesses
at locations to do things that i am ot capable of.  some are ueful
tiny changes.  not fsf signed.  have contributed tinychanes.

config:
[after manual editing]

vvv
[core]
        repositoryformatversion = 0
        filemode = true
        bare = false
        logallrefupdates = true
        ignorecase = true
[remote "origin"]
        # https://code.orgmode.org https://savannah.nongnu.org https://sr.ht
        url = https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs/org-mode.git
        # url = git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git
        #cz is 1h behind orgmode.org -- either should work
        #       url = git://repo.or.cz/org-mode.git
        fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
[branch "master"]
        remote = origin
        merge = refs/heads/master
[branch "local"]
        rebase = true
        remote = origin
        merge = refs/heads/bugfix
        # merge = refs/heads/master
[branch "testrelease"]
        # fixme idk why i have this branch and can maybe del it
        remote = origin
        merge = refs/heads/maint
[branch "maint"]
        remote = origin