Re: Links to javascript-based websites from orgmode.org: Paypal and Gith

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Links to javascript-based websites from orgmode.org: Paypal and Github
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 10:35:29 +0800

briangpowell <briangpowellms@gmail.com> writes:

> I respect your position & predicament
> Suggest you stay away from PayPal & ALL the other methods you
> suggested--PayPal for example has been shutting down the accounts of
> "freedom fighters" & can & will continue to do so whenever they wish, for
> whatever reason they choose

Clarification: I personally do not have legal issues with using
cryprocurrencies as long as Ukrainian (which I am a citizen of)
jurisdiction is considered. However, cryptocurrencies can be problematic
depending on the country where you want to use the cryptocurrencies.
Some countries straight ban the cryptocurrencies, some limit their usage
as a payment media, some have tricky issues with taxing (for example, it
is common that cryptocurrencies are considered similarly to stocks and
are a subject of special/increased/multiple taxation).
See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_cryptocurrency_by_country_or_territory
I would be unfair if we leave no option for contributors from the
countries with tricky crypto status or contributors who do not want to
use crypto for other reasons (e.g. Bastien voiced against crypto).

In this thread, I am not particularly concerned about the payment
processor. The discussion about free software options for payment has
happened a bit earlier and we concluded that we have no options
involving banks (unfortunately). FSF also does not provide a legal
solution as organization.

At this point, I'd rather discuss the fair distribution of donations
across Org contributors. AFAIK, liberapay provides a pretty decent
policy on this and allows people to donate to Org developers without a
need to choose whom to donate to (yet there is still an option in
liberapay to donate to individual developers directly). See
https://liberapay.com/about/teams

Best,
Ihor