Re: Org links and Flatpak firefox

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: Org links and Flatpak firefox
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2022 22:16:04 +0700

On 03/07/2022 20:25, Ken Mankoff wrote:
Emacs opens URLs in the last-active (from the UI perspective) firefox,
even if there is a firefox on the current virtual desktop.

Is it Emacs of Firefox behavior? However it is not trivial to choose which window should be used to open a new URL if a couple of monitors, virtual desktops, and contextual identities are involved.

I had "browse-url-generic-program" set to a script that used xdotool to
find if there was a firefox on this desktop, and then sent the URL
there. xdotool doesn't play nice withe flatpak, and that was the problem.

I am not an X11 expert but it sounds strange. The protocol is designed to work across network, so it should not matter whether some application is running from flatpak. May it happen that after upgrade Wayland session is used instead of X11? Though in such case I would expect that xdotool should be rather broken due to stricter security model.

Out of curiosity, what is the reason why you are avoiding firefox as a snap package? It should be tested better on Ubuntu. I do not like it because instead of decentralized apt mirrors it forces to use fixed source of packages, upgrade policy is not clear to me as well. My impression is that priorities related to application isolation is not consistent with my expectations. I understand reasons behind decision of Canonical to drop .deb package, but I still do not like them: browser packages are too expensive to build, not to mention long time support promise conflict with desire of developers to use modern tools.