org-meta-return / org-insert-heading does not insert new heading in midd

From: Guillaume MULLER
Subject: org-meta-return / org-insert-heading does not insert new heading in middle of heading even id org-M-RET-may-split-line is set
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2022 18:40:27 +0200

Hi,

I thought I already reported this bug, but I cannot find it anymore in the
mailing list archives
(https://lists.gnu.org/archive/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=org-meta-return&submit=Search%21&idxname=emacs-orgmode&max=20&result=normal&sort=date%3Alate)
 nor in the accepted bugs (https://updates.orgmode.org/?sort-bugs-by=date#bugs)
so I'm reporting it (again?). Please forgive me if I'm duplicating it, but FYI
it is still present today.

I'm using DoomEmacs (latest), which uses "Org mode version 9.6
(9.6-??-e9da29b6f)".

When the cursor is in the middle of a heading (<> denots the cursor):
* heading number<> one

Hiting Meta-Ret results in:
* heading number one
* <>

Whereas it should result in:
* heading number
* <>one

At least if org-M-RET-may-split-line is set correctly.

By default, on my config org-M-RET-may-split-line is set to 'nil', but changing
to whatever ("Always" or (default . t)) results in the same behavior.

The documentation for org-meta-return points to org-insert-heading which says:
"If point is in the middle of a line, split it and create a new headline with
the text in the current line after point (see org-M-RET-may-split-line on how
to modify this behavior)."

So this is actually a bug.

Cheers, keep up the good work!

GM