Re: LaTeX export: when is it more useful to use LuaTeX instead of pdfTeX

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: LaTeX export: when is it more useful to use LuaTeX instead of pdfTeX?
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2022 19:15:17 +0700

On 09/07/2022 17:42, Juan Manuel Macías wrote:
Max Nikulin writes:

[...] With LuaTeX you get more convenient OTF and TTF font selection, but
you you have to pay for the feature. It is necessary to explicitly
specify all families: normal, typewriter, italics, etc if you need
Unicode. -

Not necessarily. You can go from the simplest or basic to the most
complex, depending on the user's needs. If the user does not need to
write in non-Latin scripts, and is not particularly interested in fonts
and otf esoteric features, then the otf version of the Computer Modern
font (which LuaTeX uses by default) will suffice, as this font has
coverage for latin, latin-1, latin-extended, etc.

Juan Manuel, we are going to repeat the discussion happened a year ago. Has something changed since that time? LuaTeX uses Latin Modern and it is not nearly Unicode. PdfTeX out of the box has e.g. LH fonts - Cyrillic extension for Computer Modern, so it is enough to specify input and font encodings and it is not necessary to care concerning particular font.

For example, if you want to write an article in both Russian (main
language) and English, and want to use the Old Standard font (which has
excellent coverage for Cyrillic), the basics might be:

My point is that it is not about what I want, it is related to what I have to do, namely choose, maybe install and explicitly configure some consistent set of fonts. With the following minimal example I got blank space instead of non-latin characters.

\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
Abc — Αλφάβητο — Азбука…
\end{document}

Just have tried with
    This is LuaTeX, Version 1.10.0 (TeX Live 2019/Debian)
It is from Ubuntu-20.04 system package.

So to switch default engine in Org from PdfLaTeX to LuaLaTeX it is necessary to write some code inspecting available font set suitable for specified language.