Re: [BUG] inserting notes at end

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] inserting notes at end
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 22:17:58 +0800

Tor Kringeland <tor.kringeland@ntnu.no> writes:

> Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I get note after empty lines below the headline in both the cases.
>> This behavior is intentional according to org-log-beginning.
>
> I see.  Maybe this could be noted in the docstring for org-add-note?  If
> org-log-into-drawer is non-nil, then the behavior is different (the
> drawer is always placed at the first newline below the heading).

The reason why empty lines are skipped when inserting the first note in
a headline is purely technical. It may or may not be changed in future.
The behaviour is essentially undefined - there is not much point
"freezing" the current behaviour in the docstring.

IMHO, there is not much point changing the current behaviour to not
skipping empty lines. I personally prefer to keep empty lines after the
headline and before notes. So, opinions can differ.

A proper implementation that would satisfy all users should do something
similar to :empty-lines in org-capture-templates, but it will be a fair
bit of work with no clear interest from Org users. Of course, if anyone
thinks that such feature is going to be useful, please chime in and reply
to this email.

Best,
Ihor