Re: The fate of ob-asymptote.el

From: Jarmo Hurri
Subject: Re: The fate of ob-asymptote.el
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 12:23:49 +0300

Hello Ihor.

> Well. You convinced me. If Asymptote has very stable syntax and major
> features, it probably makes more sense to maintain it within Org or
> within Org community.

If Bastien shows the green light, I am looking forward to giving back
something to the community: maintanance and a good set of illustrative
examples on worg. For the past 2 years I have just been utilizing what
you guys have been doing, in a state of haze, for obvious reasons.

>> - I embrace a (any) maintained feature which extends the
>> applicability of Org without compromising "the core." I have had
>> great moments noticing that Org already supports something new I
>> need.
>
> I agree that it is nice, but we cannot, unfortunately support all the
> programming languages out there. As long a some specific language has
> a maintainer, things are fine, but in long term it is only reliable to
> support popular ones + possibly GNU projects (as Org is a part of GNU,
> and it is kind of obligation).

Makes sense. As long as there is a maintainer, a more exotic language
can be supported. Perhaps my contribution will increase the popularity
of Asymptote within the Org community and therefore the probability of
long term survival of ob-asymptote.el.

> As long as there is a person maintaining ob-asymptote, things should
> be fine. Especially if there is a good test coverage and WORG
> documentation.

I will be in standby mode until Bastien tells me what happens next.

All the best,

Jarmo