Re: Org mode links: Open a PDF file at a given page and highlight a give

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Org mode links: Open a PDF file at a given page and highlight a given string
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 19:54:02 +0800

> Currently I believe that instead of injecting up to 6 entries into
> `org-file-apps' for various combinations of page, anchor, and search
> pattern, it is better to add single record with function handler. Notice
> that the approach presented above is not affected by the bug with
> multiple regexp group. Its additional advantage is that shell is not
> involved, so peculiar file names can not cause execution of some code
> when quoting and escaping are messed up.
>
> I think a set of functions for popular PDF viewers (evince, zathura,
> okular, xpdf, xpopple, firefox, chromium & Co., etc.) should be defined
> in some package, but I am in doubts if it suitable for Org core.
>
> Proof of concept implementation.

Thanks for taking time to implement this proof of concept!

I think that it is a very good idea for Org core to support search terms
in file links that are handled by Free Software.

Moreover, I think that we should, by default, auto-detect and use Free
Software to open file links, when such software is installed on user
machine (unless the user explicitly instruct otherwise).

I see Free Software support as dedicated files like ol-evince,
ol-okular, etc. The file functionality and common function may probably
be factored out into ol-file library.

--
Ihor Radchenko,
Org mode contributor,