Re: [HELP] Translate/extend `org-clock-clocktable-language-setup' for Sp

From: Christian Moe
Subject: Re: [HELP] Translate/extend `org-clock-clocktable-language-setup' for Spanish/Dutch/more languages
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2022 14:50:21 +0100

Ihor Radchenko writes:

> Esteban Ordóñez <quiliro@riseup.net> writes:
>
>> El 2022-12-04 06:17, Ihor Radchenko escribió:
>>
>>> #+BEGIN: clocktable :scope file :maxlevel 2
>>> #+CAPTION: Clock summary at [2022-12-04 Sun 14:16]
>>> |   Headline   |   Time    |
>>> |--------------+-----------|
>>> | *Total time* | *0h 0min* |
>>> #+END:
>>
>> It is still not clear what "Clock summary at" refers to.  Perhaps
>> someone fairly proficient in the English language could use it in a
>> sentence.  That sentence needs to specifically convey the sense of what
>> "Clock summary at" means in org-mode.  Then I could translate it to
>> Spanish correctly.  Nevertheless, the translation is probably fair
>> enough.
>
> In other words, the caption is trying to say that the table below lists
> summary of clocked time as of [...] date; how much time is spent doing
> various tasks before [...] date.
>
> Hope it clarifies things.

And the timestamp includes hours/minutes, therefore the preposition "at"
is used ("at sixteen minutes past two") rather than "on" ("on the fourth
of December").

I mention this because it's the kind of formulation that can trip people
up during localization, especially if they don't know how "[date]" is
going to be formatted. Going forward, it's worth thinking about making
strings easy to localize. There was just a presentation about this at
Emacsconf the other day (https://emacsconf.org/2022/talks/localizing/).

In the case of "Clock summary at [date time]", the string "Clock
summary, [date time]" would be just as clear and leave less scope for
error, and one could even drop the comma. This might in any case be the
best solution for translations if people are confused what to do with
"at" in their language. (In some, it would simply be the right
translation -- e.g. for Norwegian, for which I'll send a patch shortly).

Yours,
Christian