Re: LaTeX tutorial (focused on what Org exports) ??

From: William Denton
Subject: Re: LaTeX tutorial (focused on what Org exports) ??
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 13:31:31 -0500 (EST)

On 30 December 2022, Thomas S. Dye wrote:

Org's latex exporter is exceptionally capable. AFAICT, it doesn't have practical limits on the LaTeX it produces, at least for my academic use case. I'm able to use all of the LaTeX packages I've ever wanted to use.

Me too, and the more I use Org with LaTeX, the more I'm seeing how I can use Org as a way to organize a large publishing project: use literate programming and export the LaTeX piece by piece, documenting what I'm doing; use source blocks to run necessary code to prepare images or files before inclusion; and so on.

Using Org (simple markup plus some +latex_header lines) and exporting to LaTeX is straightforward enough ... managing a project, with the LaTeX as code to be generated, can get a lot more complicated, but on the other hand, Org makes that kind of thing simpler. (Of course, anything involving LaTeX is bound to get complicated pretty soon.)

I've learned a lot from several regulars on this mailing list, including Juan Manuel MacĂ­as, who does remarkable work on dictionaries and translations. Here's an example:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2021-06/msg00348.html

Along with all the other recommendations, it's worth looking at the user guide for the memoir class, which is great for books:

https://www.ctan.org/pkg/memoir

It'll be somewhere on your system as memman.pdf. I learned a lot about page design and LaTeX from it.

Cheers,

Bill

--
William Denton