Re: setting export_file_name during export

From: Leo Butler
Subject: Re: setting export_file_name during export
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2023 22:52:32 +0000

On Fri, Jan 06 2023, Alain.Cochard@unistra.fr wrote:

> Leo Butler writes on Fri  6 Jan 2023 21:38:
>  > Hello,
>  >
>  > I am trying something new this semester: all my lecture notes are
>  > organized into a single org file. A minor problem: I want to export each
>  > lecture (see below) as a separate pdf file. I would like to know if
>  > anyone has ``solved'' this problem or has a suggestion on how to do it.
>  >
>  > Ideally, I would like to have a single function that retains only the
>  > current subtree that contains point, sets EXPORT_FILE_NAME based on the
>  > top heading, and exports it as a complete beamer pdf.
>
> Hi.  Sorry if you already know this and want something more automated
> it is not too clear to me.  (What is not clear either is why you have
> '* Lecture 1' _and_ '** Lecture 1', etc., i.e., why not just
> '* Lecture 1'.)

For my setup, each heading is a separate lecture, each subheading is a
separate beamer slide, etc.

> So: if you insert
>
>   :PROPERTIES:
>   :EXPORT_FILE_NAME: lecture-1.pdf
>   :END:

Aha! Thank you very much. I had forgotten about using property
drawers. It would be a simple matter to create a filter to insert that
property drawer under the heading that contains point.

> right after '** Lecture 1' and, with the point inside that subtree,
> do:
>
>   C-c C-e C-s l O
>
> it seems to me it does the job.

Yes, it does! Thanks again.

Leo

>  > #+AUTHOR: Leo Butler
>  > #+TITLE: Lectures in Math
>  > #+LATEX_CLASS: beamer
>  > #+LATEX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [presentation]
>  > #+STARTUP: beamer
>  > #+EXPORT_FILE_NAME: lectures
>  >
>  > * Lecture 1
>  > ** Lecture 1
>  > In the beginning...This subtree should be exported to =lecture-1.pdf=.
>  > * Lecture 2
>  > ** Lecture 2
>  > Next...This subtree should be exported to =lecture-2.pdf=.

*and* that I needed to