Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-ag

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 17:53:56 +0000

Tom Gillespie <tgbugs@gmail.com> writes:

>> I strongly disagree. I'd prefer to allow only internationally recognized
>> time zone format. Let's not make life harder for Org file parsers.
>
> So offsets and tz database names but no time zone abbreviations?
>
> That seems reasonable since there isn't a sane way to handle the
> timezone with dst vs abbreviation for an offset, so better to force
> only US/Central aka America/Chicago and then -06:00 and -05:00
> if users want CST/CDT to avoid any ambiguity?

No. Let's allow anything that can be understood by `encode-time' (or TZ
variable in other words). And also recommend using America/Chicago-like
and direct offsets in the manual. Abbreviations should be supported, but
not advised.

We may also later provide a linter to warn about ambiguous abbreviations
and times.

Basically, there is literally no way we avoid ambiguous timestamps, yet
keeping the required flexibility. No matter what we try. The best we can
do is support everything, recommend more reliable practices in the
manual, and warn about possible problems.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,