Re: [POLL] Proposed syntax for timestamps with time zone info (was: [FEA

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [POLL] Proposed syntax for timestamps with time zone info (was: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda)
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2023 12:42:54 +0000

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

>> Consider that you are running a scientific experiment around daylight
>> saving time change: [2022-10-29 2:15-5:15+02]. You don't care that the
>> government decided that the wall clock should go like 2:15 -> 2:59 ->
>> [CEST -> CET] 2:00 -> 2:15 -> 2:59. Physics does not care. You just need
>> to make sure that the experiment runs exactly 3 hours without trying to
>> consider the currently used TZ rules.
>
> Sorry, I cannot see how running the experiment three hours long is
> related to exchange of for example, appointments, or calendar events
> that shall be represented in possibly different time zones.

It is not related.

> It seems you have different personal purposes for time representation
> in Org.

Indeed. Org is used by a variety of users with different needs. What I
just demonstrated is that specifying the time zone is not always
necessary in timestamps.

Note that my proposal allows specifying the time zone when you need it.
Or not specifying it and specifying the UTC offset only. Your use-case
with appointments is covered. My example is also covered.

> Are you sure that telling not to care is good notion?

Maybe I used the words wrongly. I meant that physical phenomena do not
follow human conventions and wall time.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,