Re: PATCH for worg about cb_thunderlink (Re: Link from orgmode file to E

From: Bruno Barbier
Subject: Re: PATCH for worg about cb_thunderlink (Re: Link from orgmode file to E-Mail (using kmail or notmuch))
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2023 19:16:30 +0100

> On 01/02/2023 02:56, Bruno Barbier wrote:
> Is it intentional that you and the linked page avoid cb_thunderlink page
> on the official add-on site?
> https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-us/thunderbird/addon/cb_thunderlink/

No. But visiting the author site being mandatory to install it, I
thought it was simpler to point directly there.

>> +To install the =cb_thunderlink=, see this web page:
>> +
>> +   https://camiel.bouchier.be/en/cb_thunderlink/installation?with_menu=1
>> +
>> +You need to install both the add-on and the OS integration.
>
> Often I prefer to see URL I am going to visit, however in this case I
> would consider in-text link with description text hiding the address.

ok.

>> +#+begin_src elisp
>> +(defvar cbthunderlink-app nil
>> +  "The full path where you've installed your cb_thunderlink application.")
>> +
>> +(defun cbthunderlink-open (message-id)
>> +  "Open the given email. MESSAGE-ID is the message id."
>> +  (start-process "cb_thunderlink" " *cb_thunderlink*"
> --------------------------------------^

Yes. This is a buffer that is uninteresting to the user, see:

  (info "(elisp) Buffer Names")

> is it intentional space?
>> +                 cbthunderlink-app
>> +                 (concat "thunderlink://messageid=" message-id)))
>> +(org-add-link-type "mid" 'org-email-open)
>> +#+end_src
>
> I am in doubts if `org-add-link-type' should be recommended since
>
> (make-obsolete 'org-add-link-type "use `org-link-set-parameters'
> instead." "9.0")

Oops. Right. I should change that, thanks (and use my new function name
`cbthunderlink-open', not the old one `org-email-open').

> I checked
> https://camiel.bouchier.be/en/cb_thunderlink/installation/windows
> https://camiel.bouchier.be/en/cb_thunderlink/installation/linux
> in both cases it promises to register thunderlink:// and
> cbthunderlink:// handlers. From my point of view it may be a reason to
> take advantage of `browse-url' package. It should allow to avoid
> explicit code to start process and to delegate the task to this package
> and to handle mid: links by `goto-address-mode' in non-org buffers.

That is what I first thought. But, I couldn't find an Emacs function
that would pass that URL to the OS desktop, asking it to open the
document.

I'm not using `browse-url' (except for web pages) and I wasn't aware of
`goto-address-mode'.

> By the way, if cb_thunderlink is more convenient than built-in way to
> handle mid: links in thunderbird then support of mid: URI protocol is a
> valid feature request for cb_thunderlink.

I'm not sure to understand. The `cb_thunderlink' add-on allow to build
the link in one click from inside Thunderbird; that the part that I find
really useful. And if Thunderbird is able to open an email from its
"mid:" URL, the prefered method should probably be to install only the
add-on inside Thunderbird, and use Thunderbird to reopen the "mid:" link.

> Let's wait several days, there is a chance that somebody else will add
> more comments.

ok. Thanks for your comments.

Bruno