Re: [BUG] org-manual: Using bookmarklet for org-capture is no longer rel

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: [BUG] org-manual: Using bookmarklet for org-capture is no longer reliable
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2023 21:09:32 +0700

On 01/02/2023 20:38, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
Max Nikulin writes:

I think, we assume different definitions of "rock solid". Does it able
to detect that desktop configuration of org-protocol is broken and to
notify the user about failure? I do not use :immediate-finish templates,
but some people do. There is a risk to quietly lost captures. I do not
see other ways to detect errors besides a native messaging helper
application.

Would it be reasonable to make org-protocol raise Emacs frame on
failure?

Raising frame may help if window manager allows to do it. In some cases the only possibility for a window is to request attention. Creating new frame may be more reliable. Window manager may still take measures against focus stealing. I have heard that such feature exist, but I am unsure concerning severity of such policy.

However I was writing a more annoying issue. Firefox may quietly swallow attempt to launch external protocol handler. Even no message is spitted to console like in the case of unknown protocol or throttling due to multiple attempts during short interval of time. Emacs is completely unaware of capture attempt in such case.