Re: [BUG] list.orgmode.org managed to parse a message in future: 2023-10

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: [BUG] list.orgmode.org managed to parse a message in future: 2023-10-29 [9.6.1 (release_9.6.1-223-gc8d20d @ /home/yantar92/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)]
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2023 23:02:16 +0700

On 03/02/2023 17:55, Ihor Radchenko wrote:

We currently have a message in future on top of
https://list.orgmode.org/

At the epoch of livejournal some users intentionally assign some date in the the future to pin posts at the top of their blogs.

The message is
https://list.orgmode.org/ZT2vNKsf3Lp5xit3@protected.localdomain/raw, and
it does not contain the future dates in headers. Just in the body.

See the "Date" header
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 04:02:44 +0300
Are we observing public inbox bug?

Earlier I have seen spam messages from the future. I think, it just was easier to take time from the Date header. Parsing of "Received" headers is more complicated and it is necessary to configure which one can be trusted. Sender may add some fake "Received" headers as well. Moreover it is necessary to ensure that time is correct on the trusted server. (It must be done anyway, incorrect time may lead to failure of TLS handshake before message transfer.)

I am not convinced that mail list must drop messages with future date.

Public inbox may have some feature like override map Message-ID -> correct date or parsing "Received" headers. The latter may increase server load during mail processing.