new org mode, changed folding behavior could be improved / more consiste

From: Laurenz Wiskott
Subject: new org mode, changed folding behavior could be improved / more consistent
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2023 21:08:16 +0100

Hi,

org mode has apparently been rewritten somehow.  At least I noticed a few
differences
after updating to the new Debian version.  For instance, it got much faster.
GREAT!

There is one feature however that I really miss: It used to be that I could add
an entry
with a certain number of stars in the first line, and then 'org-global-cycle'
using S-TAB
would allow to make all the headlines visible only up to that many stars.  For
instance,
a file with

*** -
* 1
  Text 1
** 2
   Text 2
*** 3
    Text 3
**** 4
     Text 4

after one or two S-TAB (depending on the initial folding state) would look like

*** -
* 1
** 2
*** 3

without the 4-star headline visible.  If I remove one star in the first line
and type
S-TAB once or twice, then it looks like

** -
* 1
** 2

I found that a convenient way of controlling the depth of the CONTENT view (I
believe it
is called).  That does not work any more.  Typing S-TAB once or twice leads to
the
CONTENTS view that shows all headlines, no matter how many stars and
independently of the
first line.

I have read that I can get the desired behavior with a numerical argument.  So,
I have a
work around.  GREAT!

However, I find it inconsistent, that 'org-global-cycle' and 'org-cycle' work
differently.  The latter shows the old behavior (GREAT!), but can apparently
not be
controlled directly with a numerical argument, while for the former it is the
other way
around.

I suggest, to enable the trick with the first line for both 'org-global-cycle'
and
'org-cycle' and to also enable overwriting this with a numerical argument.

Here is an example for 'org-cycle'

* 1
*** -
** A
*** Aa
    Text
** B
*** Ba
**** Ba1
     Text

Typing TAB once or twice (depending on the initial folding state) on the main
headline (*
1) yields the view:

* 1
*** -
** A
*** Aa
** B
*** Ba

If I remove one star in the second line (*** -), typing TAB yields

* 1
** -
** A
** B

So, that still works.  But a numerical argument has no effect.  However, I
found that C-c
TAB (org-show-children) does this, but why not just numerical argument plus
TAB, like for
S-TAB?

Anyhow, I am extremely grateful for the org-mode and I use it daily.  Thanks a
lot.

Best,

Laurenz Wiskott.