[FR] Use empty ***** heading to indicate folding depth in org-cycle for

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: [FR] Use empty ***** heading to indicate folding depth in org-cycle for a subtree (was: new org mode, changed folding behavior could be improved / more consistent)
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 15:02:05 +0000

[ Adding Org ML back to CC ]

Please, use reply-all in future when replying to emails in the mailing
list. Otherwise, the discussion will not be seen by other Org developers
and interested users.

Laurenz Wiskott <laurenz.wiskott@rub.de> writes:

>> #+STARTUP: show3levels
>
> trick does not seem to work with version 9.5.2 yet.  It would also open the
> whole file.

Indeed, I am talking about the latest Org.

> But what I want is to TAB on a headline, and it only opens up to some
> predefined depth.
> 'ESC 3 SHIFT-TAB' does the trick for level 3, for instance.  With my
> proposal, using an
> initial line with three stars, I currently save the 'ESC 3 SHIFT-'.  I know
> it is
> considered unintended behavior.  But nobody seems to have complained about
> this 'bug',
> thus I suggest to just leave it in there and recover it also on the global
> level, where
> it currently does not work anymore.  But anyhow, if you don't like it, I can
> also live
> with 'ESC 3 SHIFT-TAB' instead of jut 'TAB'.

Note that you may achieve what you want in personal config with appropriate
`org-cycle-hook'.

I am renaming this to feature request. I see not great need to add and
_maintain_ this feature, unless more people are interested.

The suggested idea, AFAIU, is

* Top heading
empty heading indicating to what level 'children cycle state is
revealing the headings.
***
** Sub 1 <displayed on cycle>
*** Sub 1.1 <also displayed, as indicated by first ***>
*** Sub 1.1.1 <not displayed>
** Sub 2 <displayed>

If one starts from

* Top heading...

and <TAB>

it is suggested to display

* Top heading
empty heading indicating to what level 'children cycle state is
revealing the headings.
***
** Sub 1
*** Sub 1.1...