[O] Injecting properties with noweb

From: Ken Mankoff
Subject: [O] Injecting properties with noweb
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 08:07:57 -0800

Hello,

Is it possible to set variables using Org Babel inside screen, which does not
support ":var" header args? I'd actually lke a double-nested screen over ssh,
and the ability to re-use Babel code blocks under different headings, using
header args or PROPERTIES to change variables. That is, something like:

* Setup
:SETTINGS:
:FOO: default
:BAR: one
:header-args:screen+: :cmd /bin/bash :session (org-macro--get-property "FOO" "")
:END:

#+NAME: setup
#+BEGIN_SRC screen
if [[ ! $(hostname) =~ "host"* ]]; then ssh host; fi
<<inject_vars>>
# eval <<inject_vars>> ??
echo $FOO
#+END_SRC

Should print out "one" (the default setting under Setup) in the screen terminal.

** OTHER
:PROPERTIES:
:FOO: two
:END:

#+BEGIN_SRC screen
<<setup>>
#+END_SRC

Should print out "two" (the sub-heding adjusted property) in the screen
terminal.

I'm OK with not being able to inject arbitrary variables, only the ~10 or so
that I need to be able to set, and having a code block that has these 10
hard-coded on the LHS, but with some <<noweb>> or something on the RHS so that
they value of the variable can be controlled using PROPERTIES under headings
(better yet, header-args, but I don't think that is possible).

That's the behavior I'm after, but am having trouble. I thought something like:

#+NAME: get-prop
#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :var prop="FOO" :noweb yes
(org-macro--get-property prop "")
#+END_SRC

#+NAME: inject_vars
#+BEGIN_SRC shell :noweb yes
# echo <<get-prop(prop="FOO")>> # testing
echo export FOO=<<get-prop(prop="FOO")>>
echo export BAR=<<get-prop(prop="BAR")>>
echo export BAZ=<<get-prop(prop="BAZ")>>
#+END_SRC

#+BEGIN_SRC screen
<<setup>>
echo $FOO