Re: Unicode problem with export of literal contents

From: Bruno Barbier
Subject: Re: Unicode problem with export of literal contents
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 20:00:24 +0100

Jens Lechtenboerger <lechten@wi.uni-muenster.de> writes:

> On 2023-02-20, Bruno Barbier wrote:
>
> However, if I use insert-file-contents-literally with a unicode
> file, I do *not* have to set the coding-system-for-write.  This just
> works:
>
>    (with-temp-buffer
>       (insert-file-contents-literally "~/unicode.org")
>       (secure-hash 'md5 (current-buffer)))

Humm. Emacs is amazing: it managed to guess the right encoding, from the
buffer context, probably...

But, what you are giving to 'org-export-string-as' is not the buffer,
it's a string. So, let's try the same without using an org function:

     (with-temp-buffer
       (insert (with-temp-buffer
                 (insert-file-contents-literally "~/unicode.org")
                 (buffer-string)))
       (secure-hash 'md5 (current-buffer)))

And, that fails, requesting an encoding.

> In the context of Org export, secure-hash seems to require a coding
> system.  Why?

I'm not an expert, so, you'll need to confirm with other sources.  But
secure-hash requires an encoding in all cases, to compute the hash of
some text, because it needs the array of bytes that represents that text
to compute its hash.

I don't see any bug in org, and, I don't see any bug in secure-hash either.

You literally shoud stop using "literally" ;-)

And, you might want to read:
   (info "(elisp) Non-ASCII Characters")

Bruno