[POLL] Naming of "export features"

From: Timothy
Subject: [POLL] Naming of "export features"
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 22:22:14 +0800

Hi All,

In <87lel4gm6b.fsf@gmail.com">https://list.orgmode.org/87lel4gm6b.fsf@gmail.com> progfolio/no-wayman
suggested renaming “export features” to “export contexts”. The difficultly
mainly lies with the fact that we are trying to name two very distinct
components that together provide the functionality I have called “export
features” (see the attached diagram).

To give a recap on the main points raised to/by me so far:
⁃ Doing things based on the state of a document can be described as acting based
  on the “context” of the export, and in this way “export contexts” is a
  reasonable description.
⁃ Providing capabilities via snippets can be framed as akin to dynamically
  gaining a feature.

Both components are crucial to the overall system, however if anything I view
the latter as more important and so am not a fan of describing this system as
“export contexts”. That said, I am open to considering alternatives.

Here is a list of terms which I’d feel comfortable applying to the system:
⁃ export features
⁃ export capabilities
⁃ export snippets

All are imperfect in different ways, and so any choice is a compromise. Let me
know if you have any thoughts.

All the best,
Timothy

--
Timothy (‘tecosaur’/‘TEC’), Org mode contributor.
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/tec>.