PROPOSAL: Bind `org-fold-hide-subtree' by default in Org Mode.

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: PROPOSAL: Bind `org-fold-hide-subtree' by default in Org Mode.
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 01:29:12 -0600

Hey everyone, is there a reason we don't bind `org-fold-hide-subtree' by default in Org Mode?

I bind it to C-<tab> and now find this to be one of the most useful keybindings in Org Mode. I suspect my workflow is pretty typical.

The use case is simple:

When reading material within a certain heading level, one often decides that one is done with that section (and therefore done with everything inside it -- including anything at deeper levels of nesting). So one just folds the entire subtree around point and moves on, without changing the visibility of any of the sibling-or-higher subtrees around it (because often the next place one is going is one of them).

This is one of my most frequent actions in Org Mode. In fact, I think it might be the most common Org Mode command I run.

It seems like an obvious thing have bound to a key, and yet Org Mode doesn't bind it by default. Should we?

(I put it on "C-<tab>" because that's normally unbound in Org Mode, and because so many of the Org Mode cycling commands involve modified tab already. But I don't feel strongly about the particular key, as long as it's fast to type; maybe there's a better key available.)

I looked for prior discussion about this in the archives and didn't find anything: https://list.orgmode.org/?q=org-fold-hide-subtree

Best regards,
-Karl